Today I pulled out one of my favorite summer dresses. While I usually shop somewhat higher end, this dress is from Roaman’s and has held up very well to repeated wearings all summer.
I am wearing it with a black short-sleeved cardigan from Coldwater Creek that is no longer on their site, but just about any solid cardigan would do.
The necklace (which isn’t visible in this shot but will be down below) is from Forever 21. Their clothing is too young, but I’m all for inexpensive accessories. Unfortunately I don’t see it on their site any longer.
On the Roaman’s website, this dress is styled with a yellow cardigan. I LOVE this look, but can’t wear yellow. I have a long-sleeved cardigan (in the blue/purple color that is sprinkled throughout the dress) from Cato to wear once it gets a bit cooler.
What I love most about this dress is how it hugs my curves. I have no problem wearing it outdoors without the sweater. Let me show you what I mean:
As I mentioned before, I am a pear – my hips are wider than my shoulders and I wear a good size larger in pants than in tops. Nonetheless, this dress does some things that I LOVE.
- It clings to my curves and gives me a waist.
- It doesn’t cling to my lower half, so it launches off my hips and falls straight to the floor
- the busy pattern conceals most figure flaws, like the previously mentioned fat tire you can see just below my chest in the side picture
- The straps at the shoulders are WIDE, which allows me to wear this dress without a cardigan on hot days (like today; 113 expected) and which will always cover my bra.
- The skirt is full but the fabric is light and gauzy, making it cool but still fun.
- The fabric is NOT see-through.
All in all, one of my favorites. I have it in the Magenta as well, although I should note that the solid color shows wrinkles from sitting in funny ways.
One other point – this dress is a bit example of why the right bra matters. I have two bra styles that I wear most of the time, but only one has the right shape for this dress. It makes finding the right bra well worth while.